"Talk to Bob Ministries" - The man who talked with God!
Is this what Heaven will look like? I Corinthians 2:9 - But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which
God hath prepared for them that love him.
Isaiah 64:4 - For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for
him that waiteth for him.
John 17:2,3 - As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. And this is life eternal, that they might know
thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
When I was a new Christian(early 1980's), I was unsure about what happened to your soul when you died. My Pastor, Bobby George, wrote the following dissertation,
and gave it to me(it's amazing that I still have it 25 years later).
The term "soul sleep" is not found in the scriptures - the Bible does teach that physical death for the believer is as a sleep - however, it is the body which is specifically refered to as sleeping Matthew 27:52 - And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, - in this passage the word for body is the greek - owirata - which is used in reference to the "body of animal, or man" and can be literally translated - "corpse, carcase, a material substance"
1. Philippians 1:21,22,23,24 - For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.
2. John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - "have Eternal life" - in the greek is in the subjunctive mood - "present" / in plain English what this means is this - when one receives eternal life depends upon when one believes in Jesus Christ - the gift of eternal life does not wait for death or resurrection - it is ours when we receive Jesus / literally translated: "whoever believes in him shall not perish but might keep on having eternal life" / John 17:3 - And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. - What is eternal life? - just living forever? . . . . its relationship with the Father and Jesus . . . . / Do you know Jesus today? do you not have a relationshup with Him today? / For the believer - if he lives - he knows Christ - if he dies - he's with Christ. / Today we have a relationship with Jesus - and nothing can separate us from Jesus - not even death. - - . Romans 8:38,39 - For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. / If my body lives - because I am in Christ - I live. / If my body dies - because I am in Christ - I am still alive. / If my body lives - & I'm in Jesus - & he should come today - I am alive & shall never see death. John 11:25,26 - Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
3. I Thessalonians 4:13,14,15,16,17,18 - But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words. / When Jesus comes again - who is it that he will bringing with him - vs. 14 - "those who have fallen asleep" - - - - how can this be if body & soul are in the grave?
4. I Peter 3:19,20 - By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Concerning Soul & Spirit.
1. Ecclesiastes 12:7 - Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. - - - yet Christ preached to the spirits in prison. - spirits from the days of Noah.
2. Passages which teaches that the immaterial nature of man(soul & spirit) is separated from the material body.
---(a) . Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
---(b) . Luke 8:53,54,55 - And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead. And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise. And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat. - "Spirit Returned"
---(c) . I Thessalonians 5:23 - And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
---(d) . Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
3. Luke 23:46 - And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. - Let's think about this -
---1. His Spirit went to the Father.
---2. His body went to the tomb -
---3. Yet He preached to the Spirits in prison. How? - - . Separation of soul and body.
4. Matthew 17:3 - And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. / Yet Moses had been buried over 1000 years before - Deuteronomy 34:5 - So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
5. Upon physical death - while the body is placed in the grave - the soul of man goes either to be with the Lord (Philippians 1:23 - For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: ) or to a place of punishment - (Luke 16:19,20,21,22,23,24 - There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. )
6. Acts 7:54,55,56,57,58,59,60 - When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep. - Stephen's spirit went to be with the Lord - his body was buried under the rubble of stone.
HELL - New Testament Words and References
Hades: (1) The underworld where the dead had their invisible abode.
---------(2) It was considered to be in the depths and to be contrasted with heaven.
---------(3) Also in the New Testament and other non-biblical literature it was seen to be accessible by gates.
---------(4) Matthew 11:23 - And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. Matthew 16:18 - And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Acts 2:27,31 - Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. Revelation 1:18 - I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Revelation 6:8 - And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth. Revelation 20:13,14 - And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Gehenna: (1) Presently located in the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem.
------------(2) Once celebrated for the horrid worship of Moloch, and afterwards further polluted with every species of filth, as well as the carcases of animals, and dead bodies of malefactors.
------------(3) In order to avert the pestilence which such a mass of corruption would occassion, constant fires were kept burning to consume the pollution.
------------(4) Matthew 5:22,29,30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves. Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? Mark 9:43,45,47 - And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Luke 12:5 - But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. James 3:6 - And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Tartarus: (1) In the mythology of the ancients as recorded in the literature of the Greeks and in Jewish apocalyptic as a subterranian place lower than Hades where divine punishment was meted out and the wicked were confined and tormented.
------------(2) 2 Peter 2:4 - For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
These are the three Greek words used by Christ and the Apostles in the New Testament. In the King James Version, they're translated "Hell". However, each word was common and used by the Greeks of the 1st Century and express a distinct aspect and characteristic of the destiny of every unbeliever. Notice that:
...... Hades - emphasizes the vast gulf and separation which exists between "Heaven" and "Hell".
...... Gehenna - stresses both the foulness and continuous nature of "Hell".
...... Tartarus - pictures bondage and torment of the wicked.
Concerning the Eternalness of Hell - 7th Day Adventists write: "Because everlasting life is a gift of God - The wicked do not possess this - they shall not see life - no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." The error is in the focus upon "eternal", as if "eternal death" and "eternal life" were the same both "eternal". However, the focus should be upon life or death ....
1. II Thessalonians 1:8,9 - In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
2. Revelation 19:19,20,21 - And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh. Revelation 20:10,11,12,13,14,15 - And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
The lake of fire - notice again in 20:10 - "They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."(NIV) Who are they? - Those in Christ? - Who, then?
3. Revelation 21:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
...... when and where is this? - New Heaven/New Earth
notice ...... vs.4 - "for the old order of things has passed away."(NIV)
................. vs.5 - "I am (continuous tense) making everything new."(NIV)
................. vs.6 - "It is done."
But also notice vs.8 - "their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur."(NIV) The verb "will be" is in the Greek EOTIV - present indicative of the verb "to be" - meaning a continuous action - "their place will always be the lake of fire." Also consider the fact that vs.8 is mentioned in the New Heaven/New Earth.---if the hell/lake of fire was not eternal - if the punishment of the unbeliever was not eternal---why then is it carried on in the New Heaven/New Earth? Why then are the non-believers thrown into the lake of fire in chapter 20 in the old order - yet still in, in chapter 21 - in the new order - If not eternal torment - then at least hell's destruction will not be instantaneous but will at least last for a season.
....................................................... What beautiful worlds God has made! .......................................................
Indeed! and More!
.......................................................................... The Other Place!!! ...................................................................